Recycling, upcycling: what is it ?
Obviously, we all already have heard about recycling, first of all for waste but also in many other areas such as clothing, and other materials. Because yes, today we can almost recycle everything ! On the contrary, we don’t really know upcycling. But then, what is it ? What are their differences ?
Today, LATY gives you more details about these more and more popular technics because we use them too for the creation of our products ! 😉
As we all know, recycling corresponds to the direct reintroduction of waste in the cycle of production of which it comes from, to totally or partially replace a new raw material. Generally, recycling allows to reduce waste volume and then their pollution and to preserve natural resources by reusing raw materials already extracted.
In brief, the idea is to give a second life to waste !
To be recycled, a material must be collected, sorted and stocked in good condition, and that, in an appropriated container: we understand then the importance of selective sorting !
As an example, plastic bottles, right after being recycled can help to create a pull-over. The PET (pilyethylene terephthalate) is responsible. Indeed, very useful to create tissues, it is also possible to find it in plastic bottles and you will only need 25 to produce a beautiful sweater !
Upcycling consists in using materials or products that we don’t use anymore to reintroduce them in the consumption chain after having transformed them to give them another using than the first one. Created at the beginning of the 90s, this term means “recycle by the top”. Indeed, if recycling aims at making new things with old ones at the same quality, upcycling has an even more ambitious objective: transform products and materials destined to bin in value-added products.
The initial object is then collected and transformed without touching the integrity of the material contrary to recycling that needs bin/rubbish dump/recycling and needs composting, destruction and chemical transformations.
What are the differences between the two technics ?
- Recycling consists in bringing the material to the state of raw material to create new objects from it.
- Upcycling consists in creating a new object with one or more already existing objects that we don’t use anymore: no chemical or mechanical action.
What about LATY ?
Since our creation, one of our principal objectives is to be very careful with the way our products are being made. In that sense, our articles’ origins are very controlled and chose carefully.
Using the upcycling technic is also very important for us because we believe it corresponds to future but also to a material saving and so a better respect of the environment.
Focus on our upcycled products:
- Our Nimi Tote, Bo Tote, Practice Tote Bo Duffle Beige and Retreat bags are made of canvas and leather that were formerly used in the Indian army. These materials were, at the time, used to create some pieces of soldiers uniforms. Abracadabra ! They are now very resisting yoga bags !
- Our limited edition Bo Duffle bags also respect the upcycling principles since they are made of tissues coming from big French fashion houses !
- Finally, our Carmen declined in two colors, is made of high-quality silk also directly collected in big Parisian fashion houses !
In the end, we would like to only produce articles coming from the upcycling technic to help environment ! 😉
And you ? What do you think of these technics ? In favor, against ?
Keep following us for exciting news and give us any feedback or comments!
Subscribe to our newsletter! See you soon!